The Artists for Positive Social Change series, launched in 2011, is a university-wide series of events, courses, lectures and performances exploring a specific theme relevant to society, as well as the work of artists who push the creative boundaries of their profession.
What: “An Evening with Russian Art Activists Pussy Riot,” Hosted by Santa Fe University of Art and Design and SITE Santa Fe
When: Thursday, May 7 from 6-7 p.m.
Where: Greer Garson Theatre, Santa Fe University of Art and Design, 1600 St. Michael’s Dr., Santa Fe, NM.
Tickets: Available for purchase online at http://sitesantafe.org/an-evening-with-pussy-riot/. SFUAD students can pick up free tickets on campus.
2012-2013 – Art and Political Activism
• Tom Maguire’s Barbarians at the Gate – Stravinsky, Diaghilev & the Ballets Russes
• Al-Mutanabbi Street Coalition film screenings
• Al-Mutanabbi Street Beausoleil and Vilmain & Ruff panel
• Al-Mutanabbi Street Coalition exhibition opening reception
• Shepard Fairey Q&A and Conversation
• Shepard Fairey Mural Painting
• Kate Reid in Concert
• Ozomatli in Concert on the Quad, with opening student bands, Inner City Connection and The Skankin’ 2X4s.
2011-2012 – Year of Hip Hop
• Bukue One graffiti art workshop – creating SFUAD graffiti mural
• God-Des and She present “Women in Hip Hop” concert
• The study of rap lyrics as poetry in the Creative Writing and Literature Department
• A series of workshops and performances in the Contemporary Music Department
• Studies of graffiti and dance through the Art and Performing Arts departments
• Graphic Design students creating graphics, posters, and ads for all events related to this initiative
• The Film School students studying the power and composition of music video as art
• Student hip hop group auditioned by and rehearsed with former Public Enemy member Brian Hardgroove, Inter City Connection, who then opened for the band
• Keynote event: Community Conversation and campus-wide concert with hip hop legends Public Enemy, livestreamed across the Laureate network for international student participation