If you’re applying for acceptance into the Creative Writing Department, you are required to submit a portfolio with 10-12 pages (maximum) of your best writing. You may submit work within one genre or a mix of genres, not exceeding 12 pages total. Genres include poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction/personal essay, play, and screenplay. Submit your work as one or more digital file:
- Designate the first page as a cover sheet listing your contact information: name, address, email, and phone number.
- Next, please present a brief (1-2 pages) overview of your writing experience, addressing the following questions:
- How long have you been writing?
- What kinds of writing do you like to do?
- What do you like about the genres you write in (poetry, plays, stories, memoir, etc.)? What writing classes (if any) have you taken?
- Name one or two of your favorite writers and briefly discuss what inspires you about their work.
Next, include your 10-12 pages of portfolio material. Double-space and paginate the text, and include your name within the header or footer of each page.
For more information and advice on preparing your portfolio, please contact our enrollment advisors at 1-877-732-5977 or email@example.com.