Federal Direct PLUS
Offered through the Federal Direct loan program to all parents of undergraduate students regardless of income. Qualification is based solely on good credit. There are no debt-to-income ratio guidelines or employment verification requirements.
Loan Amounts: Parents may borrow up to the total education cost for the year, minus any other financial aid that the student is receiving. The total education cost can include tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies, transportation, and living allowance.
Interest Rate: Fixed at 7.00% for loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2017 and before July 1, 2018.
Notes: Up to a 4.274 percent loan fee is deducted from each disbursement for loans first disbursed, on or after October 1, 2017, and before October 1, 2018.
The Parent PLUS loan can be included on an initial financial aid award offer to undergraduate students. The award must be accepted.
Effective with the 2011-12 award year, a student FAFSA must be completed before a Parent PLUS Loan can be processed. The Parent PLUS application and Master Promissory Note (MPN) are completed at https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action. The parent will be notified of the PLUS loan credit decision. Those interested in utilizing the PLUS loan should follow the below instructions. The PLUS application needs to be completed each year and is generally made available on or before April 15.
PLUS loans are available to parents of dependent undergraduate students enrolled at least half time in an eligible program at an eligible school. These are low-interest, unsubsidized loans available to parents to supplement their children’s aid package, up to the school’s cost of attendance.
You will need:
- Federal Student Aid ID (if you do not have an ID, please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid to get an ID)
- Your Employer Information (name and address)
- Alien Registration Number (if you are an eligible non-citizen)
- School Name: Santa Fe University of Art and Design
- Student Information (social security number, date of birth, address and phone number)
PLUS LOAN APPLICATION
- Go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action and sign in with your social security number, date of birth, and PIN.
- Click on Request a PLUS loan and Select Type (Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS)
- Complete the application
- For Award Year, select 2017-2018 & July 1, 2017.
- Indicate whether you want a credit balance on the student’s school account, should one occur, to be issued to the student for living expenses or to you. (Only applicable for Parent PLUS loans).
- Indicate whether you wish to defer payment while the student is in school at least half-time.
- Enter the loan amount you wish to borrow.
- Review your data and authorize the credit check.
PLUS LOAN MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE (MPN)
- Again, access https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action and log-in with your SSN, DOB, and PIN.
- Select Complete MPN and then indicate whether a Parent PLUS or a Graduate PLUS loan.
- If a Parent Loan, select or add the student information.
- Provide names, addresses, and phone contacts for two references. (The addresses of the two references cannot be the same).
- Review, e-Sign, and confirm your promissory note Best regards,
Parent PLUS Funds are disbursed in equal disbursements for each semester in the loan period by the Department of Education to Santa Fe University who then credits the funds to the student tuition account. A loan fee of up to 4.264% may be deducted from each disbursement before it is issued to the institution for loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2017 and before October 1, 2018…
PLUS loan repayment normally begins within 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed but may be deferred as long as the student remains in college at least half-time.
Financial aid staff are available to help you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free (877) 397-7502.
• Applying for financial aid
• The Guide to Federal Student Aid — “Funding Education Beyond High School,” a comprehensive guide (English and Spanish)
• Determine your monthly loan repayment
Santa Fe University expects its financial aid professionals to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out their responsibilities. Read the Santa Fe University of Art and Design Financial Aid Code of Conduct.