Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study

Federal Work-Study provides subsidized part-time employment for graduate and undergraduate students with financial need

Federal Work-Study provides subsidized part-time employment for undergraduate students that qualify based on financial need.

Federal Work-Study gives students an opportunity to earn money to help cover their educational expenses such as tuition, books, and transportation, as well as providing them with positions that complement their educational programs or career goals, whenever possible. To be eligible for work-study employment, students must be in good academic standing and enrolled at least half-time or accepted for enrollment and have unmet financial need.

The Office of Financial Aid provides as many work-study positions as funding allows. Priority is given to students with financial need who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by June 1st each year and indicate interest in Federal Work Study on their FAFSA application.

Financial aid staff are available to help you determine if you qualify for this award. For more information email sfs@santafeuniversity.edu or call toll free (877) 397-7502.

Work–Study FAQs for Students

Q. What is work–study?

A. Under the Federal Work–Study (FWS) Program, you can work part-time to earn money for your education. The FWS program provides jobs for students who demonstrate financial need. It emphasizes employment in community service, civic education, and work related to your course of study, whenever possible. Please note that FWS positions are subject to availability and eligibility.

Q. Are there specific organizations the university aligns with?

A. Santa Fe University of Art and Design offers on-campus employment and paid service opportunities in the community. The university currently can place students at a variety of not-for-profit organizations in the Santa Fe area. Students may suggest additional locations.

Q. Can I work at a for-profit organization off campus?

A. No. All off-campus Federal Work–Study relationships are with not-for-profit organizations.

Q. Can I choose whether to work on or off campus?

A. Yes. You can apply at the Office of Financial Aid for open positions, which include both on- and off-campus opportunities.

Q. What is the pay scale?

A. On-campus positions pay $10.84 an hour. Positions in community service pay $15 an hour.

Q. What is the typical commitment for work – study hours per week?

A. During the school year, students can work a maximum of 20 hours a week. On average students work 4-6 hours per week.