Commuter Requests

Commuter Requests

SFUAD may grant commuter requests for certain categories of students based upon guidelines related to marital status, proximity of home to campus, and other pertinent factors. Commuter requests based on other reasons are almost never granted. Any exemption to the University On Campus Housing Policy must be approved in writing by the Student Life Office prior to the beginning of the contract period for which the exemption is requested.

Commuter requests must be submitted by July 15 for Fall semester and November 1 for Spring semester. The exemption request form can be accessed through the housing portal under the Applications tab.

Who is the commuter request process for?

The spirit of the on campus housing policy is that students in their first two years out of high school are required to live in university residence halls or on campus apartments. Most students who have recently graduated high school are best served in on campus housing. However, we realize that some students may have unique circumstances which may qualify for an exemption. The commuter request process is intended to provide an avenue for those students who have graduated high school less than two years prior but who fall under one or more of the categories listed below:

  • Are married or in a documented domestic partnership.
  • Have dependent children.
  • Plan to live with their parent/s or legal guardian within 30 miles of campus.
  • Twenty-one years of age prior to the start of the semester.
  • Enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours for the semester.
  • Sixty-four hours of college credit already completed prior to the start of the semester.

Who is the commuter request process not intended for?

The process is generally not intended for students who:

  • Dislike their room, roommate, residence hall, or on campus living in general.
  • Have disabilities such as mobility, visual, hearing or mental/emotional disabilities, or medical conditions such as asthma or allergies.
  • Have dietary concerns or are on special diets.
  • Want to live with a sibling, other relative or family friend.
  • Parents bought a house or condo and want student to live in it.
  • Already signed a lease for an off campus house, apartment, condo, etc.
  • Have problems or concerns that need to be addressed but have not sought staff assistance.

There are many avenues besides moving off campus for students to address the above concerns including talking with the residence hall professional staff, making a room change, moving to a different type of room, changing roommates, etc. Students are expected to explore all possible avenues before requesting an exemption to the SFUAD housing requirement.

Questions regarding the on campus housing requirement may be sent to: